The lecturer’s strike enters its third month today with the striking dons still firm on their commitment to stay out of classes until they get the money they’re asking for. The Universities Council on its part claims it has been left with only one option to resort to… Sack the lecturers.
The University of Nairobi has suspended 35 lecturers after they declined to return to work following the Labour Court’s ruling that declared the strike illegal and unprotected last month.
The institution wrote to staff asking them to resume work and apparently, those who did not heed the warning were sacked.
“We are now dealing with individuals since they have different contracts with the university. If you do not come to work without permission, there are consequences, ” UON Prof Mbeche warned.
The Technical University of Kenya (TUK) on Friday started a head count of lecturers who are teaching and has threatened to sack those who will not report to work.
According to a statement in the Nation, staff in TUK are now required to sign commitment forms as the institution moves to ensure that operations are normalized.
“The directors of schools and heads of administrative units are hereby requested to ensure compliance with this directive by submitting completed commitment forms to the management,” a circular by Deputy Vice-Chancellor in charge of Administration and Planning, Joseph Kiplangat, reads. The same trend has been witnessed in all other major public universities including KU, Moi and Jaramogi Odinga.
The strike Universities Academic Staff Union Secretary-General Constantine Wasonga said, lecturers, will only call off their strike after receiving an offer. “We are used to threats, and we will now be forced back to work, ” Dr Wasonga said.