Gor, Sofapaka, Nzoia and Chemelil grab three points each in Saturday’s clashes

Steven Waruru celebrates his goal against Rangers

Batoto ba Mungu scooped three important points on Saturday, two days after beating AFC Leopards. In what seems like a 2-1 rhythm, Sofapaka managed a similar scoreline in a tough match against Posta Rangers.

The first half kicked off with Rangers dominating, though Wanjala’s shot went over the bar in the 7th minute. The Posta men would have taken the lead if Wanjala had passed the ball to Monday who was free on the left side, but the former chose to shoot by himself.

In a bid to respond to the threat, Sofapaka through a counterattack steered by Kelvin Kimani and Asieche, had a clear chance but Kepha Aswani was on the offside track in the 8th minute.

Rangers possessed the first quarter adequately at 56% with Sofapaka taking the other 44%. The Posta lads got enough open chances, too bad they didn’t mature up to goals. In the 9th minute, Kennedy Otieno lifted his shot over the bar, while Sofapaka’s Michael Oduor put a too-wide shot that paid less threat to Patrick Matasi.

Garson Likonoh, the Posta-men basic midfielder, was quite a threat to Sofapaka’s back line with his dangerous carpet pass being saved by Mathias Kigonya. Rangers continued pressing but Rodgers Aloro and Kilume did a good job to defend as desired.  Osborne Monday almost struck the opener in the 25th minute but his banana-kick was too high.

After failing to convert their numerous chances, Batoto ba Mungu gained dominance over Rangers in the last quarter of the first half. The Rangers defence seemed a bit weak without Jockins Atudo.

In the 42nd minute, Sofapaka took the lead, when Steven Waruru headed the ball right past Matasi, after a great free kick by Kelvin Kimani. Rangers’ Ngotho played foul on Waruru and referee Caroline Wanjaku did not hesitate to give a free kick that ended the first half in style.

The second half began well with Sofapaka getting a second goal in the 48th minute.  Goalkeeper Mathias Kigonya provided an incredible assist, kicking the ball right into Kepha Aswani’s legs and the striker did not hesitate to score.

A glance at the KPL Table after Saturday’s matches


With a 2-0 lead for Sofapaka, the Postamen were clearly demoralized prompting coach Sammy Omollo to introduce new energy. Calvin Odongo replaced Wanjala, while Obwoge took over from Tera.

The fresh faces brought light to Rangers, creating dangerous counterattacks including a 18-yard free kick by Osborne Monday that flew over the post.  In the 71st minute, Monday who played for Sofapaka and Tusker previously, made a punishable mistake, after losing the ball to Asieche who was too quick to shoot only to lose the  golden chance.

After a long search, Rangers managed a smile in the 81st minute, when Garson Likonoh beat three Sofapaka defenders to score a superb goal. The “Pamzo” boys, seemed to regain confidence and threatened to equalize with every counterattack.

The match ended in a 2-1 win for Sofapaka, thanks to Mathias Kigonya for all important saves. The keeper went on to hurt his leg in a  bid to rescue three points for the Batoto ba Mungu.


Elsewhere, Gor Mahia beat Bandari 2-0 in a match played at Machakos Stadium. Wesley Onguso struck the opener in the 41st minute, with a clear deflection by Felly Mulumba for what should have been an own goal.

Bandari who had a poor finishing played defensively while Gor Mahia attacked a lot. K’Ogalo possessed the entire match getting a second goal in the 62nd minute thanks to Meddie Kagere.

In other matches, Nzoia Sugar beat Kakamega Homeboyz 3-1 with Chemelil overcoming Zoo Kericho 2-1 at home. In another match Vihiga United  managed a goalless draw at home against Nakumatt.


Leave a Comment